'87 Spider Differential

Bought a 87 Spider Quad last weekend that is in need of just a littleTLC to
make a real nice car.  Maintenance history is non-existent, with a lot of
things let go I'm sure.  The only saving grace is that only a few thousand
miles have been put on her over the last couple of years.

First question, from a neophite Alfa owner (Many more to follow!!) is this,
the rear differential housing is covered in goo.  I haven't had a chance to
get up close and personal with it yet, still waiting on the shop manual.  My
couriosity and impatience is getting the best of me so , I'm wondering if
there is somone out there that has had their differential on the 'bench'.
What can I expect, where should I look for leaks?  I notice that there is a
housing plate bolted to the bottom. Are there any other plates that could be
leaking.  Is there a gasket there or what?

Other issues: When coming to a stop. a God awful noise comes from the rear.
It is intermitent. Sounds like a bad brake shoe aginst the rotor.  Depress
the clutch and it goes away!  Would low gear oil level cause this?
(Probably!!  Need a recommendation for good gear oil suitable for this car)
I haven't had a chance to really get into her yet and lack the 12mm hex
wrench to open the housing  to check the gear oil level.

Please help me out.

Brad
'87 Spider Quad (Parked until I find and repair the source of my troubles)