Re: Ski pass thru, rack, hitch 164 digest V7 #733

I have the factory advertiing brochures for my 91 164 and for the 94 164LS.
Both assert that all 164's were equipped with a rear seat ski pass through,
as does my owner's manual. The ski sack holds a 210 mm ski easily (just
under 7feet) which then rests on the top of the front seat armrest.
Removing the sack is feasible (and inevitable eventually, the design is so
poor) which would allow longer items, up to the dash say, which would be
about 9 feet, with the trunk closed. Leave the trunk open and the... er...
sky's the limit.

I have a factory roof rack which I selected over the Thule alternative when
offered a choice by the dealer. They are pretty frustrating to use, but
then my other car is a SAAB 9000 which has the most brilliant rack mounting
system ever, so I'm perhaps not the best judge of relative frustration when
installing racks. The Thule didn't fit quite as well but has the advantage
of a whole bunch of accessories, and otherwise utilizes the factory
mounting points. My mechanic custom made a set of four mounting plates to
allow me to add a Thule Box to the factiry rack, excellent system. Be aware
that the Alfa uses mounting points inside the door frames under the rubber
door seals. There is a small screw inset into the frame which is backed out
through a matching hole in the rack "foot" to lock the rack to the car. The
load is carried on the inside of the door frame, incredibly strong, and no
nasty roof pads are required which would inevitably scratch the roof.
SAAB's system is even better but is for 9000's only.

The owner's manual assures us that a trailer hitch can be added. In Europe
this is more of a family car than a sport sedan (although they do have
"celebrity" races in them before some GP events, pretty funny to see such
big sedans flogged around Monza!), so towing would be expected for a car
this big and powerful. No capacities are listed, sorry. A utility trailer
of under 1,000 lbs GVW should present zero problems. Finding a hitch may be
a challenge! As well as finding an installer to do the job properly. My
SAAB mechanic assured me he could adapt a SAAB factory hitch to the Alfa,
but I have a SAAB with a nifty factory hitch already, so we use that.

Get your wife a test drive in a good example and you should have zero
problems persuading her you need one. Streets ahead of any VW in quiet
refined motoring that also stirs the blood. My Wife loves to drive ours and
lending her the Alfa is the only way I can pry her out of the SAAB 9000
Turbo so I can get a drive.

Er... you may not enjoy working on the 164 as much as you expect. There's
some pretty bone headed design deficiencies that shall we say challenge
your patience. Fortunately, the 164 is well screwed together so apart from
the glaring deficiencies you've already noted they are rock solid. I drive
mine year round including cold Canadian winters and the car handles and
runs beautifully. I enjoy challenging the SUV drivers to stoplight GP's in
winter, even with front drive only my Pirelli Performance 210P winter
tires, coupled with terrific front end grip make those 4x4's look silly,
especially at the first corner!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada