Re:Hand Brake Timing belt digest V7 #729/731

The handbrake on my 164 is also anemic. I doubt I could lock the rear discs
without really hauling on the lever. Also, the lever travel between just
barely on and on pretty hard is very short so unless you reef on the lever
you're not likely going to get much stopping power. Then you might have a
bit of trouble unlocking the pawl to release it!

With dual braking circuits strong handbrakes are not very important. Handy
for 180 degree handbrake turns though...in winter!

The 91 164 factory manual says the timing belt is to be changed at  50,000
miles (80,000 km). My experienced Italian mechanic frowns and suggests
40,000 miles (70,000 km) is not too soon.  I suggest you never exceed the
manufacturer's recommended mileage interval for any service, especially one
as important as a timing belt. Clearly 65,000 miles is way beyond any
reasonable engineering safety margin. What does the factory say about the
"new" belt? I thought the new belt was to correct unexpected short life in
the "old" belt and infer that the change interval has not been extended.

BTW, my mechanic recommends you replace the water pump at the same time.
Also, if you still have the "old" hydraulic tensioner you should change to
the mechanical style. This is for two valve engines, I don't know about the
quad cam four valvers. Another mechanic advises that being sure that you
have the right tension on the belt when you install a new one is
technically next to impossible, so an experienced mechanic, or
knowledgeable amateur, would appear to be essential for a reliable install.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner