re: Importing

>As a resident/citizen of the USA and a person who needs parts from outside
>the USA, how do I go about working with the feds when the parts are shipped
>in from another country? I assume there will be customs to deal with and duty
>to pay (using the nose, of course). Or is there?

Generally if merchandise is mailed to you from outside the USA, customs
fees are handled almost automatically.  The shipper includes a declaration
of what's in the package and its value, the Customs Service determines the
amount of the duty, and the Postal Service collects the duty upon delivery.
Simple, and not particularly costly.  Other package services (UPS, DHL and
the like) generally work the same way.