Of the Giubo, Metalastic and Rotoflex

Jaap Bouma writes, re: the origin of Giubos, "Interesting. The fact that ing.
Boschi patented the thing makes me wonder though where that leaves the
Rotoflex coupling as used by the likes of Triumph. Introduced after the giubo
patent expired? Or just different enough to get around it?

I was first aware of them on British cars as "Metalastic" joints when they
were used on the Ford-engined Lola which preceded the Ferrari-slaying Ford
GT40; I don't know whether "Metalastic" was the company name and "Rotoflex"
the product name (sounds possible, as rubber-bonded-to-metal is a product
category with far older and broader applications) or whether they were two
different products. I understand that the main difference is that the British
ones are in inches and the Giubos metric. I also understood that the British
ones were made under license, but may indeed have been "just different enough
to get around" Boschi's patents. Perhaps someone more familiar with British
cars will know.

Joints similar in principle but more primitive in technology had been used by
Alfa in the thirties on the 6C 2500 and before that on the 6C 2300, possibly
earlier, and I have an impression Boschi may have been involved in their
development and application. I also have an impression that rubberized fabric
joints are almost as ancient as vulcanization.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.