Guns&Alfas

>Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 05:14:22 -0700
>To: akfa@domain.elided
>From: Steve Jones <sjones@domain.elided>
>Subject: Guns&Alfas
>
>Howdy,
>	As one who has for some weeks now been a silent observer of the digest, I
have finally been moved to write, not because of Alfas but because it
appears that there are those who do not comprehend the connection between
"firepower"( Actually a misnomer)  and "horsepower, Italian-style".  While
some Digesters are clearly more politically astute and oriented than
others, it's equally plain that some correspondents simply haven't a clue.

>	The issue not the morbid fascination with death and destruction posited
by some.  Nor is the issue the alleged over-abundance of weapons in this
country.  Rather the issue is whether or not free men and women have the
right to choose for themselves how they live...so long as they harm no one
else.  All too often, naysayers such as those who have complained here are
really trying to deny the exercise of a right which might be personally
offensive to some.  But that's what rights and America are supposed to be
about.  If my right to do, to be or to have is conditioned upon general
acceptance then they are privileges...nothing more.  When a criminal
violates the law, punish him.  With all the talk in the White House about
Columbine and the Brady Bill etc ad nauseam, you'd think the feds would
prosecute wrongdoing.  But check the stats...they do not.

>	The bottom line is that you either believe in Freedom (with
responsibility) or you do not.  You believe in rights, or you do not.  The
vast majority of Digesters believes that driving is a privilege, not a
right.  The fact that your state and national constitutions say otherwise
is a point to ponder.  Those of you who prattle on proudly about your
personal addiction, whatever model it might be, would do well to remember
that if you Baby has a plate on it, you do not own it.  The State which
registered it does!!!  It is just this kind of thing which the Founders
sought to avoid.  The Second Amendment (actually Article II) exists for
that day when all the others have fallen.  That is why it is called the
palladium.

>	Those who doubt the accuracy of my argument with respect to Who owns your
Alfa, are advised to point your borowsers to the California Attorney
General's home page.  Once there, go to the Opinion Page and read Opinion
97-202.  Then we'll talk.  What the AG has to say is true for every State
in the nation.  Perhaps the Founders, who were major "gun nuts' by the way,
knew what the hell they were doing when they had Mason compose Article II.
Just one man's thoughts.
>Steve Jones
>(thinking about a Milano but wishing more Alfisti were involved in their
country's business)