Re: Giubo = Giunto Boschi

At 09:00 PM 5/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>In AD7-718 Jaap Bouma asks "What the hell does giubo MEAN? Is it italian for
>wotsit thingamijig, or does it actually mean something? Sorry, just curious.
>;-)"
>
>The etymology has been on the digest a few times. Last August, after Scott
Oops, seems I've hit on another one of those periodically recurring threads
that everybody gets fed up with. Pretty soon I'll probably ask a question
about cupholders...

>what the actual Italian word is.  I am left to assume that a giubo goes on a
>Giulia or Giulietta, and a guibo goes on a Guilia or a Guilietta."
So which would one use on a GTV6....

>"the ing. Boschi had invented and patented the elastic joint (giunto) and
>later formed his firm GIUBO SpA, which manufactured the first giubos for the
>1900. "GIUBO" = GIUnti BOschi.=Boschi joints, and the pronunciation is
>(gee-yew-bow  or jew-bow)." That is the straight squeak from what is, as far

Interesting. The fact that ing. Boschi patented the thing makes me wonder
though where that leaves the Rotoflex coupling as used by the likes of
Triumph. Introduced after the giubo patent expired? Or just different
enough to get around it?

Met vriendelijke groeten, regards
Dr.Ir. J.H. Bouma  <j.h.bouma@domain.elided>
University of Twente, Dept. of Energy Technology
tel.: (0)53 - 489 40 98
fax: (0)53 - 489 36 63