re: bleeding Spider brakes

Thanks to Dana Loomis and Bob Rice for bleeding advice.  Problem really was
use of one man kit - works fine, but you can't see the fluid as it comes
out!  I let it sit for a couple of days & then had an assistant pump.  Was
rewarded with one large bubble from each caliper, & brakes now feel much
better.

Please excuse what I suspect is a newbie question: I'm curious about
operation of the dual-circuit system.  With system fully bled, if I open
e.g. a bleed nipple at the rear I'd expect that pressure in the front
circuit would prevent much increase in pedal travel.  In fact, it goes half
way to the floor.  It's as if the two pistons in the MC are able to move
independently, with pedal travel somehow distributed between them.  Is this
true?  How's it done?  Or are my brakes still screwed up?  Sorry for low
Alfa content - I'd look it up if I knew where.

TIA,
                   Jake (78 spider, 84 GTV6)