Re: GTV-6 electrics

In message , Ferdinando Di Matteo <ferdinando.di@domain.elided> writes
>DO NOT US AN ORDINARY TEST LIGHT AROUND the cars with electronic, FI and
>ignition!  If you do not understand electronics, especially those in the
>modern auto, keep your hands off.  Asking questions about, "what if" I touch
>my test light to anything, will surely get you in trouble. Fred Di Matteo

I'm sure that Fred will not mind me elaboratting on his post, but he'll
sure let me know if he does.
The problem with test lamps is that they have a low impedance. This
basically means that they take a lot of power and can therefore damage
circuits which had nothing wrong with them, thus making more problems
than you already had. As you all know, this can give rise to "bad day
syndrome" and is to be avoided.
To use an analogy here, you would not test your starter motor by
connecting it to a little cheap battery charger, as you wouldnt expect
the battery charger to give enough amps. Well some of you might, so lets
try another example. You might expect to damage your Alfa if you decided
to tow a 40 foot trailer as per the film Convoy, not enough power for
the job.
Some Motronic sensors do have close to 12V at them, open circuit, and
will blow the computer if you put, for example, a main beam bulb onto
them to "test" the 'lectric.
Hope this clears things up and thanks to Fred for a reminder.
BTW get a digital multimeter, they only cost a little and are very
useful and have a VERY high impedence.

- --
jonathan coates