Non releasing clutch

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully it will be clear what happened once I've
got it apart.

 >This sounds most like a broken pressure plate assembly.  I had a similar
>experience in my lamented '63 Giulia Sprint about 30 years ago.

It could be, although I can't understand how that would cure itself, if only
briefly (see below).

>I doubt that you will get this right without pulling the gearbox.  Before you
>remove it, drain the lubricant to clear out all the little bits of steel that
>you just ground off the gearbox parts.  That way you won't get any large bit
>stuck in a gear set where it can break more teeth.  (I saw a gearbox out of a
>Spider last week where the mechanic had forgotten that point.  The result was
>very ugly.)

>I would also suggest that you learn how to double-clutch.  That would have
>saved your gearbox from making nasty (and expensive) sounds on the way home.
>It will also extend the life of the synchros.

I think that you may have misinterpreted my explanation: There were no nasty
noises on the way home, once the clutch released again after the first
"episode" it behaved perfectly, I could select any gear (incl. reverse)
without any crunching. Until I went to use the car again, when it refused to
release again. I can, and do, double-clutch when appropriate, but it wasn't
required in this case.

Regards,

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.