re: Very aggravating GTV/6 problem

hi tarik,  you said:
>My 3.0 GTV/6 has developed a very annoying problem.  Periodically, the engine
>shuts off (as if the key was turned off).  When this happens, the starter
>will turn fine, but the car will not restart for 5 - 30 minutes.  I first
>thought that this was some sort of loose connection problem, but it only
>seems to happen when accelerating hard in the upper RPM ranges (almost as if
>this is a fuel starvation issue).  The car has '84 2.5 eloctronics, modified
>by John Kirshtien for the three liter.  Trouble shooting has proven
>difficult, as the problem corrects itself shortly after occurring.  I have
>not even been able to determine whether the problem is fuel or spark.  The
>last this happened, I checked for a spark at the coil and found one, but then
>the car started, leaving me unsure whether there had been a spark when the
>engine stopped or not.  I've tried two different air flow meters (a 3.0 and a
>2.5) and had the problem either way.  Someone suggested that the ignition
>switch might be at fault, but I don't know why it would only happen at high
>RPM.  I have changed the fuel filter and checked/cleaned connections at the
>starter relay, the fuel pump, the ECU, etc.  If I drive sedately the problem
>never seems to occur, but happens with some regularity when driving
>aggressively.
>
>Any ideas?
========================
the only time my gtwe6 would do this was about 4 years ago, when i'd yust got
the car.  turned out to be the fuse for the fuel pump was loose.  cleaning all
the fuses & adjusting all the holders to put more tension on the fuses cleared
up this & a few other intermittent electrical problems i was having.  so, i'd
think that a loose connection mite still be the culprit - in your case, it may
be that the added wibrations at hi rpms are triggering it, or triggering that
possibly borderline ignition switch.

on a different track, perhaps your fuel filter is clogged - again aggravated at
hi rpms.

good luck,

doug s