Re: SPICA question

Luke writes:
>The problem (74 Spider):
>
>If the car is left overnight or sits for more than 3-4 hours, the idle gets
>out of control when I first drive it. First of all, It takes 2-3 times to
>start (first with pedal to the floor, and then with a light touch, it will
>not start without any gas). Then, it idles high, at about 1200 rpm. Once I
>get going and raise the rpms to shift, the next time I come to a stoplight
>and let it idle, it   is even higher, at 1600 rpm. After 10-15 minutes,
>things get back to normal and my Spider idles at 800, like it is supposed
>to. Hot starting is accomplished with just a bit of gas.

I'm no great expert, but:  The system is supposed to fast idle as it warms
up, and in this respect it sounds like you're pretty close to the optimum.
10-15 minutes seems long, I'd expect more like 5 - how long does your
engine take to reach operating temp?  Checking the TA is worthwhile.  They
wear out, and a rebuilt one may not be the correct length for your model
year.  FWIW, my 78 spider also usually takes 2 or 3 tries to start and does
not immediately fast idle.  Please let me know if you're able to make an
improvement.

Regards,
                               Jake

End of alfa-digest V7 #707