RE: Trailing arm bushing removal (or arm replacement)

> I figure I can get a used one from APE, but Tom Sahines wrote in the Cams
> while back about replacing trailing arms with older ones which had smaller
> bushings. I presumed this was to stiffen things up a bit. The replacement
> bushings I purchased are polyurethane, so this should have the same
effect.
> Of course, I can get heim-jointed units suitable for racing, but I've
heard
> there pretty noisy and mine is a street car. Advice on these or other
options?

my trunion bushings disintegrated at lime rock last year.  i replaced them
with a set of performatek bushings (they just started advertising in the
alfa owner, one or both of the partners are on the digest).  these are poly
trunion bushings, and the transformation was pretty impressive.

since then i installed a rebushed trunion bar, and installed a set of the
earlier trailing arms with new bushings.  there is no slop in the rear end,
and the car handles like a dream (can't wait to get it out on the track!).

i'd highly recommend the poly trunion bushing for eliminating slop.  can't
comment on the heim joints, but i'm happy with the earlier trailing arms.

bs