Spica question

Well, I have a Spica question. I have reviewed the AROC notes, but I am not
that comfortable with my own diagnosis, thus I seek confirmation from fellow
mavens.

The problem (74 Spider):

If the car is left overnight or sits for more than 3-4 hours, the idle gets
out of control when I first drive it. First of all, It takes 2-3 times to
start (first with pedal to the floor, and then with a light touch, it will
not start without any gas). Then, it idles high, at about 1200 rpm. Once I
get going and raise the rpms to shift, the next time I come to a stoplight
and let it idle, it   is even higher, at 1600 rpm. After 10-15 minutes,
things get back to normal and my Spider idles at 800, like it is supposed
to. Hot starting is accomplished with just a bit of gas.

I have not done the test of the thermostatic actuator detailed in the AROC
notes and the bible yet (boiling it in a pot like a crab).  But I wanted to
see if I could eliminate the cold start solenoid first (the actuator is only
5K miles old).
Informed opinions, personal experiences to help get me started ?

thx in advance
luke

74 Spider, 82 GTV6, 95 164LS,  98 A6 Q
San Mateo, CA - USA