Re: Rear Trans Mount Spline Joint and

Dave Partridge wrote:

>I know somebody out there has done these repairs so... HELP!
>I crawled under my 76 Spider last nite to replace the rear transmission
>mount and found that the bolt holding it in is just a little to long to
>come out before it  hits the tunnel. What's the trick?

The trick is to support the tranny from underneath the car and unbolt the
crossmember from the body. With the crossmember hanging down, there's just
enough clearance to get the long bolt out if you rotate it so the flat
lines up with the corssmember. Of course, if the rubber bushing is in
shreds, there should be plenty of room. ;=)

>Also, I was going to take the rear half of the driveshft to a shop (yes I
>marked it) to have the diffie U-joint replaced but the spline joint
>wouldn't come apart. Is that little knurled portion on the U-joint side a
>threaded retaining ring or what? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yes! Don't force it. The knurled ring holds a grease seal. Just unscrew it
and you can separate the halves.