Re: alfa-digest V7 #696 - Brake Fluid

	In an Italian car, should not one use olive oil?  Less cholesterol,
etc., than vegetable oil.
	Once upon a time, I used Castrol Girling fluid exclusively in a
British car I owned pre Alfa.  When that was no longer available, I used
Castrol crimson and later still Castrol LMA, which I still use in my Alfas.
It is DOT 4 and I figure easier on the seals than DOT 3, or "American" fluid,
which would eat the rubber out of British cars.
	I have asked a bunch of questions of Alfa mechanics and others.  No
one seems concerned about using DOT 3 anymore.  I am looking for high
temperature fluid for racing and racing DOT 3 is much cheaper and easier to
acquire than DOT 4.  So I also hope someone with all the knowledge about the
stuff will respond to us both.  My normal recommendation is to look in the
owner's manual and use what it says.
	DOT 5 or silicone based brake fluid does have some advantages.  It is
apparently not as caustic, but it does have an affinity with water and can
cause rust.  I have heard that, but have never used DOT 5 to know for sure.
	To rebuild your system, get rebuild kits and flush everything with
whatever brake fluid you decide upon.  To my knowledge, the only recommended
solvent for brake systems is brake fluid.  Using solvents on the metal parts
only, followed by soap and water on everything is not suggested.  However, I
have done that.  Just make sure to rinse thoroughly with water and blow every
bit of water out of the system.  Make sure your air compressor has a good
water filter.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 5/7/99 10:43:23 PM Central Daylight Time,