Re: alfa-digest V7 #693 - Wheels to fit Alfa Spider

	I am running mid 80's Mustang GT 15 x 7 wheels on my 82 spider with
225 50 15 tires.  I had to flatten the wheel well lips for clearance.  My
spider is also lowered with Centerline springs and yellow Konis.  And yes,
they rub with two people, a full trunk and a bumpy road.
	The Alfa bolt pattern is 4 x 108 mm.  The Ford four bolt wheels are 4
x 4 1/4 inches.  4 1/4 inches times 25.4 mm per inch = 107.95 mm, or darn
close to 108 mm, so they do fit.  To my knowledge, any Ford wheel with four
bolts is 4 1/4 inches, so Escort, Thunderbird, Cougar, Mustang, etc. wheels
will all bolt on... almost.
	The inside of the Mustang wheels I have had a bevel that will not
clear the end of the axle stub on the rear.  You need to add wheel spacers,
or better yet, cut the bevel in the wheel out square to fit over the end of
the axle.  A friend cut his with a Dremel tool, I used a lathe.  The wheels
are not hub concentric, so the cut is not critical.
	The Mustang wheels are also thinner than the five spoke Campagnolo
Daytonas.  With the long lug bolts on the Alfa, the stock nuts hit bottom
before the hit the wheel.  You need to go to any wheel store and buy deeper
lug nuts.  If you have steel wheels, your lug nuts will work, but the extra
shoulder that holds on the hub cap will look funny.
	The Mustang wheels also have more offset than the stock wheels.  This
means your track will be wider (Remember Pontiac's Wide Track = Stability
ads?).  It may also make the car more twitchy on rough pavement.  I feel the
additional offset make the spider look better as the wheel wells are filled
by the tires.  The stock tires sit back from the fenders too much and look
... well they could look better, in my opinion.
	Several styles of Ford wheels are available.  The Mustang LX is a 15
x 7 that looks almost like the early Giulietta wheel.  I like the Mustang GT,
with its turbine styling.  Others are available, including some 16 inch
wheels on the Mustang Cobra, maybe???  I have no idea if 16 inch wheels will
work.  I have acquired several wheels from Mustang racers who have converted
to the later 5 bolt hubs.

	Also see Willie R's web site at
http://hem.passagen.se/veloce/MECH4.HTM#rims
He lists several models of European wheels that will fit, but most are more
rare than the Alfa, at least here in the USA.

	Now, if you replace your Campagnolo Daytonas with new wheels, I am in
the market for them.  I am required to run 14 x 6 wheels on my ITB Alfa race
car.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City