Re: alfa-digest V7 #692 - Alfa Flywheel

In a message dated 5/6/99 10:59:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: 6 May 99 09:34:49 CDT
 From: Ralph Moorhouse <ralfalfa@domain.elided>
 Subject: Spider fly wheels bolts

 Removed the flywheel on the '74 SPider last night to replace rear seal (w=
 ith
 help from Tom Norton etal - thanks).  What was apparent is that the bolts=
  had
 been loc-tighted in the past.  Now the Haynes manual indicates that the b=
 olts
 should be tightened to some specified torque with OILED threads!

 So my question is... to oil or loc-tight, which is correct??

	Having had a flywheel come loose a few years ago, my 82 flywheel is
now torqued, lock tighted AND safety wired!  Screwed, glued and tattooed, so
to speak.  Drilling new bolts for safety wire was a pain as they are really
hard!
	Why the flywheel came loose is not subject to discussion.  However, I
will say that while I still paint flywheels, I do not paint the part that
touches the crankshaft.  Live and learn.
	The shop manual for the mid 80's spider specifies torque as 81.1 to
83.3 foot pounds with the specified "lubricant" being Loctite 270 (Green).  I
called Loctite and #270 is an old or a bad number.  They said to use # 271
(Red).
	It would not hurt to match your 74 to these specifications.  Early
flywheels had lock tabs for the bolts.  They also had two half moon "nuts" on
the inside of the flywheel flange.  I am not sure exactly when they changed,
but the 74 engine in my garage has tapped holes in the flywheel.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City