automatic Milano info wanted

Hi all,

Your collective wisdom is appreciated.  I have an opportunity to purchase
an 88 Milano Gold with an automatic.  Well, it's going to be for the wife
to drive as a daily commuter (the 168 will thus be relegated to garaged
status during the week).  The car is one of the cleanest Milanos I've ever
seen, inside and out, with only 46k mi.  Problem is the aforementioned
slushbox, and people "in the business" telling me that the trannies are
impossible to replace and extremely difficult to rebuild.  Others say I can
replace it with a BMW transmission.  What's the real scoop!?  Anyone been
through this experience with an automatic Milano?  Thanks!

Chris Robyn
Berkeley, CA
'84 GTV-6
'91 168