Re: automatic Milano info wanted

 In AD7-691 Chris Robyn asks for the "real scoop" on automatic Milanos.

>> Others say I can replace it with a BMW transmission.<<

No. It is the three-speed ZF HP3 22 transmission, the innards of which have
been used in BMWs, Peugeots and Alfas since the mid-seventies, but the case
is unique to Alfas. I had assumed that the Milano box was similar to but in
some details probably different from that used in the '78-'79 Sport Sedans,
but Don Black, who was Director of ARI's U.S. Engineering Office 1970-1987
and thus should have an informed opinion, says this was not the case; the HP3
22 was "damned near bulletproof" and "(financial) mandates inside (the
company) would not permit any kind of major refitting nor redesigns".

>>people "in the business" telling me that the trannies are impossible to
replace and extremely difficult to rebuild.<<

Alfa said that the automatics (like Spica pumps) were not "Field Serviceable"
and could only be exchanged for a factory-rebuilt; the shop manual covers
only adjustment, removal, preparation for shipment, and installing the new
unit. Local guru Bill Barnes, who has a mind of his own, and a friend once
rebuilt said friend's Sport Sedan automatic with BMW parts, a BMW shop
manual, and the connivance of a BMW parts manager, but says the more
intelligent thing to do is get an exchange unit.

For exchange information and/or the locations of authorized rebuilders contact
ZF USA (847-634-3500). One Digestisti reported that Eriksson Industries in
Connecticut (800-388-4418), which was not an "authorized" rebuilder but was
nevertheless favorably recommended by ZF USA, did an excellent job on his 164
box, a four-speed ZF 4HP-18 which is also used by Saab.

I do not have specifics on rebuilt exchange costs, but it should be no worse
than for BMW, Saab, Peugeot, Mercedes, etc. The cost reported on the that 164
was in the ballpark with that quoted locally for our Mazda MPV.

One peculiarity of automatic Alfas is that all were equipped with a
self-leveling system. This was (again, according to Black) the importer's
marketing choice, not something which was functionally related to the needs
of the gearbox. The self-levelers can leak, and are expensive to replace, but
do have some advantages; they can be fitted on manual Milanos, or removed
from automatic Milanos (substituting both shocks and springs) as the owner
wishes.

Hope this helps.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.