Re: Alternator Question

It does sound like an alternator problem. It might be brushes, as you
suggest. If you're battery is going dead between uses, you might also
have a bad diode. If you pull the alternator out, any local parts place
can tell you if it's bad or not. They may or may not be able to get you
a replacement. If the alternator checks out, it could be the regulator
that's bad

Before you do anything, you should double check that you have a good
ground cable between the engine and chassis. Bad grounds can cause all
sorts of mystifying Italian behavior.

Eric Schnettler wrote:

>My 88 Graduate has both a voltage meter and an alternator "idiot light" on
>the instrument panel.  When driving at night I've noticed a (very) faint
>red glow of the idiot light.  Additionally, the voltmeter indicates around
>11 volts.  If I crank up the radio volume and hit the high beams I get a
>somewhat brighter red glow (but not the blazing "on" red like when you
>first crank the engine during an engine start) from the idiot light.  At
>high RPM I see a slight drop in voltage and at idle I have a higher
>voltage.  I'm assuming the drop in voltage at high RPM is caused by the
>ignition system placing more of a load on the alternator than at idle but
>this is just my guess.
>  It seems to me that the instruments are indicating a "real" alternator
>problem.  Can this be remedied by replacing the brushes in the alternator
>or does this warrant a new/rebuilt alternator?  I'd be interested in
>hearing anyone's opinion or experience with this.

End of alfa-digest V7 #686