'83 Spider question

My '83 Spider has suddenly developed a bit of a miss at 2000 - 3000 rpm
and moderate load.  At the same time my mpg has increased from about 22
mpg (mixed town/highway miles) to 27 mpg. (?).  It starts right up and
idles fine, but in the back of my mind I suspect that it's some sort of
lean misfire, which I don't want to let develop into a burned set of
valves.  Anybody got any ideas where to start looking?  I like the
increased gas mileage, but the sudden increase worries me.  thanx in
advance!

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider (running too well?)