Info on V6 mech tensioner sought

Dear Alfisti,

I'm helping a friend install a new timing belt on his GTV6
and we're having trouble reinstalling his old mech. tensioner
(uis tensioner is about 3 yrs old). The problem is that when
the "arrows" line up on the tensioner indicating that the
tensioner is properly set up, the timing belt seems too loose.
It seems too loose and when the engine is turned over with the
camshft turning tool, the belt actually slips a couple of
notches telling me the tensioner actually IS too loose.

There have been some postings in the past where the author
said they found a bad mech. tensioner. Can someone tell me
how to recognize a bad tensioner, other than a broken spring?

The spring on our tensioner is not broken, it just seems too
weak. If we tension the belt beyond where the arrows line up,
that is, we apply more tension, the belt seems to be about
the right tightness and the engine turns over fine (again
using the cam turning tool). Right now I'm thinking we'll
just replace the tensioner with a new one and not take a
chance, but has anyone else encountered such a problem?

Thanks,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano
'78 Spider