re: spider door panel replacement

I am in the process of replacing my '88 veloce door panels also.  I purchased
a 4x8 sheet of ABS plastic (1/8 inch) - same thickness as original pressboard
panels.  This cost around $50.00.  The material is easy to cut with a jigsaw.
 The material will eventually break like the original pressboard if bent
repeatedly, so I am going to pop rivet some reinforcing strips of galvanized
steel over stress points.  My biggest problem is finding staples 1/8 inch to
refasten the vinyl.  A local upholstery shop said they have a pnuematic
staple gun, so I will take it there when I am ready.  Interstate plastics in
Sacramento was prompt and helpful in UPSing the plastic.  I think this
arrangement will be better than the pressboard where the plastic fasteners
tended to pull through and crumble the pressboard.  Hope this helps.
Paul Steffy in Chico
'88 Spider Veloce