re: locking spiders

>...Asked why he
>had never stolen an Alfa the thief replied "ya can't get-um started".

>I don't lock my '69 1750 Spider Veloce (looks like a Duetto) partly
>because of the above story and had it gone through once.  Nothing was
>taken.  Kind of depressing to find out that nothing in your trusty Alfa
>is of any value to a thief.

I don't lock my spider because either the top is down or I'd rather they
not break the car just to get the cooler/camera/stereo/whatever. However my
spider was stolen about 10 yrs ago (unlocked -hell there wasn't even a top
on the car). The hotwiring these idiots did left me with rewiring to do all
the way into the engine compartment. They didn't take anything from the
car. The car protected itself by overheating and melting pistons which
stranded them in the no-man's land between Sacramento and Davis (on a  100+
degree day). They weren't caught but I doubt they will steal another Alfa.

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto
84 GTV-6