RE: Carb Problems

Zach wrote:
> I'm having an anoying problem with part of the throttle
> linkage on my Duetto's Webers... The plastic shaft that
> links the throttle linkage on the firewall of the car in the
> engine compartment to the throttle linkage in between the
> Webers keeps falling off...

Shortly after I got my Duetto I was waiting for a traffic light
to change. When the light changed, I pressed the accel. and let
out the clutch out. Rather than moving forward, the engine died.
It took just a little time to figure out some part of the
throttle linkage had failed. As in Zach's case, it turned out
the plastic shaft had popped off.

In investigating this, it seemed the shaft was too loose to be
reliable. So to avoid this problem in the future I substituted
a Spica "long rod" for the original plastic shaft. It fit almost
perfectly and to make it more like the plastic shaft it replaced,
I put PVC tubing over the metal rod. (I assume that the original
piece is plastic so that if it comes loose, it won't create
sparks by shorting out the starter -- an important consideration,
since the carbs are located right above the linkage.)

BTW IMHO the original plastic linkage always seemed of inferior
quality and cheaply made, relative to the rest of the car. So I
was surprised that it says "patented" on it -- like it
represents some kind of significant innovation.

BTW if one does not have access to a pile of Spica long rods to
substitute for the OEM plastic shaft, one should be able to make
one from two Spica "throttle rod end sockets" ($3 ea. from IAP)
and a 10 inch rod.

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano
'78 Spider