Re: 105 plumbing

At 02:01 PM 4/13/99 -0700, Simon Favre wrote:
>The timing cover with the dipstick indicates a "Euro" motor, or at least
>the Euro timing cover. The water pump sounds like the one on the 1600, or
>it is also the Euro model. The later pumps have 2 small ports. The cam
>cover sounds like the 1600 one. I don't think the 1750 Euro motors still
>had the old air filter can on the exhaust side. I think your motor is a
>grab bag of parts assembled by a PO.

Simon nails it again!  I checked the numbers after reading his  message;
the block is AR00551*01911*, which makes it originally a 1969 US model,
presumably with SPICA.  I'll bet the cam cover, manifold, water pump, and
timing case are from a 1600.

>I think what you're missing is a tee in the plumbing. One heater hose goes
>right to the manifold. The other goes to a tee. The other hoses going to
>the tee are one from the manifold and the long one from the water pump.
>The tee allows some water to circulate through the pump even when the
>heater valve and thermostat are closed. If you don't have a heater to
>hook up, I'd connect one manifold port to the water pump and block the
>other off.

Mystery solved.  I don't need the heater right now, so I can do a quick and
dirty hookup to get the motor running.

Thanks Simon!