Re: Gear Oils

I had a bad experience with Red Line gear synthetic gear oil. I used it in
my Toyota MR2 on the recommendation of a friend in the service department
at a local performance shop. I don't know what exactly the incompatibility
was, but the synchros simply stopped functioning entirely three days
later, when i'd run about a 1200 mile trip up to Coeur D'Lane from San
Francisco. It was so bad that I stopped at a local Oil Changers place and
had them dump it out and replace with the regular synthetic GL4 or GL5
gear oil, which immediately solved the problem.

So ... be careful that you pick an oil which meets the specifications for
the Alfa gearbox.

Godfrey