Milano Questions

I just purchased an '87 Milano Gold (aka: Mona)...It's been just long
enough since my last 'eccentric' car ('79 SAAB 99GL) that I just had to do
it again:)
Thankfully, this one seems a lot more reliable and it's a ton more fun to
drive...it goes like stink and seems to be most comfortable at higher revs.
It also tends to stick to the road quite nicely...good thing.

On to the questions:

Instrument Lights.

Lights are not functioning in the main instrument cluster, but function
in the upper console window/map light switch cluster on the same circuit.
I pulled the dimmer unit and found that a trace on the circuit board had
fried, so I soldered a jumper across the contacts. For the period of time
that the fuse held out, the lights remained full-on with no apparent effect
from the dimming potentiometer. There seems to be a tremendous amount of
current cooking through this circuit for what amounts to 4 or 5 bulbs.
Before I try (and fry) another dimmer unit, I wanted to see if there are
any other current-limiting components in the mix...perhaps tied to the ARC
unit or some such. BTW, the ARC unit doesn't seem to realize that this
circuit isn't functioning and hasn't produced any warnings, even when the
fuse killed the entire circuit.

Timing.

Just replaced the cap, rotor and plugs. The plugs turned out to be more of
a challenge than anticipated due to the near equal inside diameter of the
access tubes and the outside diameter of my plug socket. That, and the
threads seem to have been buggered...un-threading each plug was alternately
very easy for a turn or two, then very hard, then very easy again until
they finally came out. Same thing when the new plugs went in. Strange. Is
this generally a problem?

So on to the question: I timed it to the "F" mark at 900 rpm or so as
indicated on the placard. I was hesitant to run any advance based on the
already 'ticky' valves, but have been told that they normally sound like
that. Any advice on 'do's' or 'dont's' for timing?

General Hints/Advice.

I know this is a remarkably broad question to answer, but any hints or
advice concerning the Milano would be greatly appreciated...via direct
email or the list depending on general relevance.

Thanks-

Kurt

- -
Manager, Media Services/Distance Learning Center
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
kh@domain.elided