Re: Alfetta Front Brake Conversion (Much Aussie Content).

>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 19:45:42 +1000
>From: Sasha <snackov@domain.elided>
>Subject: Alfetta Front Brake Conversion (Much Aussie Content).
>
>Anyway, I recently came across an add for an ex-race Alfetta for sale,
>that stated it had the front brake rotors and calipers replaced with
>those of a Holden VN Commodore (Aussie equivalent to a Chevy family
>sedan, for all US digesters). As I am considering doing a ventilated
>front brake conversion on my Alfetta, this really got my attention,
>especially given that performance rotors are readily available here and
>cost a reasonable amount of money (unlike Alfa one's :-(. Before I go
>out and start comparing disks and calipers, does anyone know what is
>involved in this conversion? Of Course I could just go out and fit GTV6
>brakes, and no doubt the alloy Brembo calipers are much better than the
>Girling calipers that are standard on the Commodore, but the idea of
>being able to source brake parts at the local Repco really appeals to
>me...

Sasha,
Did it happen to be in Amatroi Alfa that you saw this car? If it is, then I
know the car. The Girling calipers are the "slide" type, so while they may
be twin piston, both pistons are on one side of the caliper, and the other
side gets "pulled" onto the disc. The GTV6 brakes have twin pistons, but one
on each side, so the braking force is more even, and the pads wear evenly.
Yes, thats right, the slide calipers under racing conditions will tend to
wear the "pulled" pad at a slight angle....
Stick with the GTV6 method, it's much less work, and works just as well if
not better than the Commodore method. If you can find the complete uprights
and everything, then it's an even easier swap job on the car! Pads are not
hard to find sasha, and there are some VERY good compound pads availabel for
road and for race.
- --
Nathan Wong             http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
                      Alfa Romeo - Super Touring - Club Cars