Bimotore, Tipo-A and mystery 'Sud Sprint

Sorry this posting is a bit late, but I was intrigued by the comments on the
Bimotore and the Tipo A single seaters in recent digests.

According  to the excellent book 'Origins of the Ferrari Legend' by
Gioachino Colombo, the Bimotore cars were actually built by Ferrari at the
Modena site, and used all Ferrari components, apart from the engines, which
were of course Alfa eights. Interestingly, they were of different capacities
(if you really want to know, I have the c.c.details, but not to hand).The
car was built in just four months, to a design by Luigi Bazzi from an idea
by Arnaldo Rosselli, and was first raced at the 9th Tripoli Grand Prix on
12th March 1935. Two cars were entered, finishing 4th and 5th. Highest place
was with Louis Chiron on 26th May, same year, in the AVUS race in Germany.
The only other notable feat of this car was the kilometer record, set at an
average of 321.5 kph ,  on the autostrada near Lucca, by the little Mantuan,
Tazio Nuvolari, 16th June 1935. Must have been a hell of a ride! It was this
car that was sold to an English chap who raced it at Brooklands, and is, I
believe, the basis of the existing car seen at Goodwood. Whether it is
totally original or not I cannot say. This was the first Ferrari car to
carry the 'Little Prancing Horse' (Cavalino Rampante?) shield on the
radiator cowl. It's a good game trying to decide whether it's a Ferrari or
an Alfa, I guess as it was built at Modena, it's an Alfa engined
Ferrari......

I have some photos of the AR Museum exibit, which is a replica. It is
beautifully built, and pretty awesome. you can see the photos at
http://website.lineone.net/~ian_preece/bimotore.htm/

The Tipo A, as mentioned by other digesters, is also a replica, the building
of which was overseen by Mr Fusi. His excellent book on the car is a
fascinating account of the design and development of what were very
unconventional concepts, in the search for competition success.

Again, this is a beautifully executed piece, my pictures don't do it
justice, but you can get an idea at
http://website.lineone.net/~ian_preece/tipo-a.htm/

Finally, there is this curiosity. Seen at the AR Museum in Arese, in the
basement next to the Pope's Alfetta! In the 'hatch' at the rear rests a V6,
probably a 2.5 litre. There were no details about it, and I've never seen it
mentioned in any literature. Does anyone out there know it's history? File
this one under transplants?

http://website.lineone.net/~ian_preece/sprint.htm/

As ever, any errors are all my own work.....

Ciao,

Ian.

Ian Preece, Freelance Oracle Applications Consultant
Greybeard Consulting Limited
Phone Mobile: 0966 451489