RE:Spider top reinforcement methods desired

Hutson,
May I suggest using a canvas adhesive, available from farm supply stores
Hardware stores or possibly a place like Home Depot.
It is usually latex based, very flexible and waterproof.
The only drawback is it dries to a kind of dingy clear brown. I've used it
on boat covers,  waders and even canvas shoes.
Just paint a layer on some thin cotton cloth (like a black bed sheet)
and apply it on the inside of the top in the thin spots.
It won't be pretty on the inside but it won't leak or tear in that spot.

Dave Partridge
76 Spider (with a new top but I'm not above repair in the future)
Monticello, Mn.