Re: [Re: How can I get to Museo Storico]

In the dim & distant past (11 yrs ago, I did this trip by public transpor=
t - EuroRail pass & cab.  Took the trian to Rho (sp?) then took cab to Mu=
seum.  As Bob indicated,  you have to convince the cab driver to go to th=
e museum.  I also helps if you have made an appointment (you may want to =
check with Fred D for contact person).  Yes the guards understand no engl=
ish & you will have to arrange for cab to pick you up  (this is where it =
helps to have an English speaking contact in the nearby offices)
Wonder if it still the same cleaning lady who let me in?
Enjoy...its worth the hastle!!

"Bob & Mary Holmstr=F6m" <holmstro@domain.elided> wrote:
> Tim,
> =

> It is possible (but not easy!) to get to Museo Storico by public
> transportation - My wife and I did it last May.
> =

> We asked for instructions at the tourist information office near the Mi=
lan
> Cathedral, they speak excellent English and were very helpful.  You can=

> either take a bus or taxi.  We used some of both and here is what happe=
ned:
> =

> We went to the taxi stand near the cathedral and after talking to about=
 10
> drivers we finally found one who would take us there but he didn't know=

> where it was and he had to ask other cab drivers for instructions.  The=
> told him to just drive to Arese and ask there.  It is about a 45 minute=

> drive to Arese.  We negotiated a price for the ride before entering the=

> taxi - it turns out the reason the drivers don't want to go there is th=
at
> there is no chance of getting someone to ride back.  If you speak Itali=
an,
> you may be able to negotiate a reasonable fare for the taxi to wait - w=
e let
> the taxi go.  The one way fare was approximately $25. Make sure that yo=
u get
> the driver to drop you near the museum, the Alfa Romeo complex is huge =
for
> someone on foot.
> =

> As others have said, the museum is buried inside what appears to be an
> office building.  We were let in by the cleaning lady and had free roam=
 of
> the place for several hours and did not see a single other visitor.
> =

> When it came time to leave, we went back to the guard station and tried=
> get him to call a taxi for us but failed because our Italian was not go=
od
> enough.  We finally got instructions on how to take the bus.  Unfortuna=
tely,
> the bus stop was at the other end of the Alfa Romeo complex, and we cou=
ldn't
> walk through it, we had to walk around it.  About two miles on a busy
> highway with no shoulder or sidewalk, in the pouring rain!  Fortunately=
 we
> had raincoats with us. We had to time our sprints along the side of the=
 road
> so as to not get sprayed by the trucks as they went buy.  In order to r=
ide a
> bus in Milan, you need bus tokens which are not sold on the bus - you h=
ave
> to buy them at a newsstand - which was another mile down the highway.  =
We

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=3D1=