berlina rear calipers

After a few hours work Tuesday, I was once again able to drive the Berlina
- - continuously, not in 5 minute bursts. Being able to do this enabled me to
discover some of the car's problems, most notably a clunking from the LHS
front, and binding brakes (which are progressively getting worse). Assuming
that the brakes would be the easiest and cheapest of the two to fix, I
started by removing the rear calipers, dismantling them (pistons were stuck
in), and finally cleaning them ready for reassembly with new kits.

When I tried to reassemble them, I put the large seal in the bore, and
tried to slide the piston in, having coated all components with brake
fluid. It would not enter (it would hit the seal and go just a little
further), either of them in either bore. Is there anything I am missing?
Also, the kit contained two small seals, but I don't know where they
belong. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

     Regards
     Davide Frada