Re: WARNING re: O2 sensors

Mastro Subaru Alfa Romeo Of Tampa <mastro@domain.elided> writes:
> Learn from my mistake... when connecting universal O2 sensors, be sure
> you know what's going on. I am learning the hard way that two white
> wires don't mean they are the same. I attached mine and am now less one
> Motronic ECU. Direct ground. Not pretty ( $$$ )
>
>       I have decided to stick with the OEM part from now on. Save $100, spend
> $500 to fix the damage. (thank goodness for APE).

I've never had a problem with the universal sensor (Bosch or other) for
the L-jetronic applications. The two heater wires are not polarized and don't
connect to the ECU. According to the 164 wiring diagram, the heater wires
don't go to the ECU on Motronic either. Perhaps there was a short inside the
sensor??

That said, I have no problems with the advice of going with OEM if you can.
I just did for the 164LS O2 sensor. The price wasn't bad ($155).

- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm