RE: jacks

"Joe Cantrell" <agiyo@domain.elided> wrote:

>Changing a flat on my Spider this afternoon, the stock Alfa jack let go
>suddenly, dropping the car on the wheel I was attempting to install.  I
>didn't shake it, NOTHING happened, except that the jack let go without
>warning, completely and nearly catastrophically.  My hand was on top of the
>tire; I can't believe I was fast enough to get it out and it is a miracle
>I'm not typing left handed.
>This was an almost-new appearing jack.
>Don't let it happen to you, kiddies.

Glad you weren't injured, Joe!

Whenever I'm changing a tire, the spare tire/wheel goes under the lowest
part of the frame I can find near the jack, and stays there until the flat
is pulled off the car.  Then it comes out and the flat one goes in its place
before I attempt to put the spare on the car, and stays there until I have
am ready to lower the jack.  This way if a jack fails the car won't go all
the way to the ground.

   - (another) Joe