Re: alfa-digest V7 #601 - Wheel Ramps

In a message dated 3/31/99 8:59:58 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:44:50 -0800 (PST)
 From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@domain.elided>
 Subject: re: checking trans oil on a spider

<<From: Christopher Keen <ckeen@domain.elided>
 Subject: checking trans oil on a spider

 >How can I check the trans oil level on my spider without tilting
 >it? The only way I would know how is by putting it on a lift, but
 >I'm one of those cheapos who didn't feel like installing a lift
 >in the garage.

 Use a hydraulic jack, two jack stands and 2 of those drive-on ramps. With
 a friend to help you, drive the front wheels up onto the ramps. Then pick
 the back end up with the jack under the differential and rest the rear
 jacking points onto the jack stands. That should get the chassis up about
 20" off the ground and level. Still not much fun but you can work on the
 undercarriage then.

 A lift is so handy when working on cars... ;) >>>

 	I agree about the ramps and jack stands and had sent the same suggestion to
Chris.  Rather than having a friend help you drive up on the ramps try this:
Determine where in the garage you want the elevated car and mark the ramp
position.  Drill a hole in the leading lip of the ramp and in the cement
garage floor.  A bolt in each ramp will keep them from sliding on the slick
cement.  A mark on the floor and the other end of the ramp will get them set
up straight and parallel quickly.  If you do it right the same marks will work
for a Spider and for a Milano and even accommodate wide tires on offset
wheels.
	If you want to work on the front suspension, put the floor jack under the
crossmember behind the oil sump on a spider and lift the front off the ramps.
Replace the ramps with jack stands and go to work.  My spider is so low I have
to drive up onto 2x4's to get the lowest jack I have under the A Arms.  The
ramps are better in that respect than jacking up one side at a time and
placing more and more boards under the tires until up to jack stand level.
	Sears has a 3 ton floor jack for $99.  It is smaller than the huge floor jack
I have and has more lift than the little ones with the detachable handle.
	Once the Alfa is up in the air, shake it vigorously.  If it falls, be glad
you were not under it.  If it wiggles too much, adjust the stands.  I usually
put the stands under the rear axle rather than the jacking points.  Personal
preference there, I guess.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City