Re: thermostat temperature and related question

> Bruce & David wrote (it took two guys to ask this question <g>):

	I wrote it up and he checked the spelling ....;-}

> Are you using an official Alfa thermostat--one with a bottom
> plate to close off the bypass hose? You can get cheaper
> thermostats that will fit the housing, but these are single
> stage units that don't allow the cooling system to work as
> intended.

	The old and new thermostats were identical.  The new unit was purchased
from a local Alfa mech. - no idea if it was an official Alfa part; the
box did not have 'Alfa' printed on it.

> With the  wrong thermostat much of the coolant just circulates
> in and out of the engine block without passing thru the radiator.

	I would assume that the engine would overheat with the wrong
thermostat.  We have the opposite problem; it doesn't heat up to
operating temp.  Operating temp being 170 - 180F.

	We'll just have to drain the coolant and have a look inside the bypass
hose and have a look-see inside.  My guess is that there isn't any
restrictor in there at all.  The i Saluti web site page indicates that
the engine will tend to overheat if the restrictor isn't there.  Again,
this doesn't match our symptoms.

	Whilst bleeding the coolant system, the bleeder bolt on top of the
water pump sheared off.  Could there be air trapped in the water pump
allowing this non-heating condition to occur??

	Bruce