RE: '86 Spider clutch problems

Subject: '86 Spider clutch problems

Any thoughts appreciated.
Bryan Carter
Brian,
      This is my first post, so please bear with...
Most likely, the clutch driven disc is "bonded" to the flywheel/pressure
plate assemblies due to rust on both surfaces.
Possible (low dollar) fix would be to start the car in gear (like you have
already done..hint, warm it up in neutral first, then shut off) then drive
around the block getting on and off the gas, with the clutch pedal
depressed. Also tests the integrety of those "flex joints"... I saw the
same symptom in a car that had been parked for a year or so and only
figured out the "low dollar method" after pulling the trans...
If that doesn't do it, the next most likely scenario is that a (or some)
pressure plate "finger (s)" have broken, allowing the (otherwise
servicable) clutch disc to be turned by one side of the pressure plate...
Trans must come out.
Hope this helps,
Mark Woodland
'69 Spider