'86 Spider clutch problems

  I recently bought an '86 Spider that has sat for a year and a half.
The car starts and runs but grinds when trying to engage any gear, just
as if I didn't depress the clutch pedal.  The trans was 1 quart low, so
I filled it, and the clutch master was empty but it's been filled and
bled twice.  The piston on the slave is moving, the fork is moving, and
I can even see the fingers on the pressure plate being pushed in and
out, yet no engagement.  I see no leaks and the fluid level in the
clutch resevoir hasn't dropped. I'm at a loss.  A friend suggested that
maybe the clutch is bad, but every other car I've had with a bad clutch
would still engage with no grinding...they just wouldn't move.  For what
it's worth, I've started the car in gear and driven it around the block.
 It seems to run great.  Shifting would be nice though.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Bryan Carter