Re: Motronic M1.7 vs ML 4.1 vs M-Motorsport

All,

I'm slightly confused by Bosch's versioning/numbering system (or rather Alfa Romeo's choice in
Bosch Motronic systems).

The 164 3.0 12-valve (USA) all run Motronic ML 4.1 while the 164 3.0 24-valve (USA) run Motronic M
1.7.

My question is; does Bosch have a whole series of EFI systems:

Series 1, like M 1.7 in the 164LS
Series 3, like M3.1 in early BMW W36's
Series 4 like the ML 4.1 in the 164L

Or does one version come in succession after the other?  I guess I've answered my own question with
the 164L (1991-1993) having Motronic 4.1 while the 164LS (1994-on) has the Motronic 1.7 series.

The reason I'm asking is I wonder if any of the systems are swappable?  I'm guessing not but I'm no
Bosch engineer.  I'm really curious if a Bosch M-Motorsport unit is usable in the M 1.7 systems or
ML 4.1 systems.

(OK OK so the M-Motorsport is a BMW-tuned unit but I couldn't find a M-Autodelta unit anywhere)

Nizam