Re: Frustrations with the spider

Jim,

You've bought an Alfa Romeo Niki Lauda Special, not a Buick. Why, given
your attitudes, I can't fathom. It should be obvious that this is an
enthusiasts' specialty car: it requires more knowledge than a backhoe to
maintain properly, as well as more money.

There's a simple procedure outlined in Pat Braden's "Alfa Romeo Owner's
Bible" to check the thermostatic actuator:
- ---
Remove the thermostatic actuator probe from the SPICA injection pump.
Check the probe at the end. If it is flush or almost flush, it needs to
be replaced or rebuilt.
- ---
I've found that advice to be accurate and consistent within my
experience. If the TA passes that test, it's most likely not the problem.

Yes, the TA is an expensive component. Shankle sells a manual actuator
for far less but they're a pain to have to live with every day. New TAs
are about $600 installed and adjusted, with warranty, at an Alfa Romeo
dealer/shop. Rebuilt ones on exchange at $220, just the parts from IAP or
Alfa Ricambi. Used ones are often available from Alfa Parts Exchange;
last time I got one for my '78 Spider it cost me $50 used, good
condition.

Either you can afford it or you can't. If you don't have the money to
afford owning and maintaining an Alfa Romeo, please sell it to someone
who will appreciate it and care for it properly. Enjoy your Buick
Riviera.

Godfrey