Re: Milano clutch in a GTV6

At 04:49 PM 3/22/99 -0500, r.m. bies wrote:

>I'm not so sure the Milano clutch is "better" -- I think the twin-disk is
>smoother.
Well, I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. I like a fairly sharp
clutch, and the twin-disk clutch in my car is way too progressive for my
taste.

>But I'll give you another take:  Find a Milano with a decent used clutch
>-- they switch directly.  If you need a new disk, the single disk is far
>less expensive.  Obviously, a used Milano assembly is far less costly than
>a new one.  Easiest to switch the front cover and all with the clutch
>mounted.  The clutch assembly alone will also slip into the old front
>cover.

I may have to go this way. The only problem is finding a decent used Milano
over here in Holland. Cars tend to get shredded fairly quickly after they
end up in the scrapyard. Consequently, it's hard to find used parts for
older cars, and if you do find parts, the scrapyard owners usually know
they are selling something rare.

>Depends on how allergic you are to taking it apart again.
Not really, but I'm worried about the condition of the flywheel and
pressure plate in my car, considering  the way in which the clutch is
dying: it won't disengage unless the flywheel spins faster than the driven
plate, so I have to blip the throttle after depressing the clutch pedal,
after which it lets go with a bit of a bang. Also, it occasionally emits
the most dreadful shrieks when pulling away from a standstill. Somebody
suggested a completely totally utterly mangled driven plate as the cause of
this behaviour, with obvious consequences for the rest of the clutch. And I
need my car for my work, so I would prefer not having to take it off the
road to remove and inspect the clutch, only to find that it's so far gone
that I can't put it back in while I find replacement parts.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix