Four Wheel drive Spider

I am rebuilding a 1963 Spider.
Too make it more suitable for Canadian winters, I would like to
make it four wheel drive.
I was thinking of  mounting my Alfa Spider body on a
Tracker chassis, but wonder how hard it would be to adapt the
Alfa engine to the Tracker running gear.
Or should I just use the Tracker engine?
Would a Lada four wheel drive (Niva? I think) be a better choice
for the chassis?
Also, how should I handle the bigger wheels? Should I flare the
wheel wells, or just cut them open? Should I install a full roll cage,
or just a roll bar?
I'm sure somebody must have already done this. Any advice/opinions?
Those guys who put the Volvo engine in the Alfa, please help.

Dave Creer :-)                                  '63 Spider
Richmond Hill, ON