Re: Origin of term "Spider"

OK, so I'm short on hard facts here, but I think you guys are forgetting
one thing. It's all marketing. The fact that both the Italians and Germans
chose to use an English or English-sounding word (there's no such word as
Spyder), attests to the fact that selling cars was their goal, not
promoting a true cross section of Italian (or German) domestic culture.

The story about the long-legged coach came from a previous Digest from
quite a while ago. I don't remember such umbrage evident then. Perhaps
memory IS the second thing to go...

Perhaps the one word missing from my little fairy tale is RICH families.
Those who could AFFORD to have 2 or more carriages might have a Spider
for weekend jaunts. Let's also remember who it was buying most of the
pre-war Alfa Romeo automobiles. The filthy rich of Northern Italy who
could afford them, as well as wealthy dilletantes from other countries.
Hand built cars from the finest coachbuilders in Italy weren't the staff
of life among people who could barely afford shoes.

Since, as John Hertzmann is fond of pointing out, the vast majority of
Alfa's production was sedans (now that's DEFINITELY a word that pre-dates
the car), then the Spider was always considered a pleasure car for those
who could afford several. So why not use a foreign word to market it? It
would have appealed to the people who thought of themselves as part of
the international upper crust (pre jet-set).