re: Duettos?

David of Troy (sorry, East Troy) writes,

>...in point of fact, I personally recognize *only* the '66 as a Duetto...

WOW! You are a truly radical orthodox Duettista (or is it Duettisto ;-)
That is the strictest definition I've ever seen for the cars...

>I do wish, however, that folks would refrain from calling the 1750s
>Duettos.  Unfortunately, I expect that my wish is as effective as wishes
>have always been.

Does it make you ill or lower the value of your car or...?

>In any case it is far far far less important a misnomer than having my
>Duetto  called an MG by an admiring dilettante.

Three "fars" mean this subject is open to debate?!?!?! Alrighty!

>As I indicated above, it does bother me to have the 1750 called a Duetto.
>I would be very interested to know if this bother is shared by others.

Soon after buying my "Duetto/1750 Spider Veloce" I was corrected -in a
rather snobby way- by a gent who said that I did NOT have a Duetto...just a
Spider. The problem when speaking to folks about my car (alfisti included)
is they understand much quicker what you have if you call it a Duetto... I
temper this by calling mine a '69 Duetto...so those who know too much about
cars can translate for themselves that I have a roundtail 1750 Spider
Veloce. If I call it a 1750 Spider Veloce people often get a screwed-up
look on their faces. How often do you hear that name? And is it a roundtail
or a Kamm tail version? Screw it. I'll keep calling mine a Duetto for
convenience sake (and hell, I like the name too). More orthodox followers
can correct me if they like.

Back from Vacation... A tip of the hat to Bruce in Geneva for the great car
show tips!

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto