Brakes

     While watching a NASCAR event last year, they had a suspension cam
     mounted on one of the cars. It was pointed at one of the front wheels.
     I was amazed to see how fast the brake disc heated up. It was almost
     instant-on. The disc would glow bright Orange-red (you physicists out
     there can probably tell the temperature from the color.) Each
     application of the brakes brought out the red glow, and it would cool
     back to steel color as the brakes were released. The good ol' boys may
     not be able to corner, but they sure can build some good binders!

     Of course, these are mounted on purpose-built race cars, and not road
     cars that we drive, but the application is the same, as are the
     physics of slowing the vehicle.
     Len