re: wheel bearings

hi ben, you said:
>Doug S. writes:
>
>"my old wolwo shop manual said to torque wheel bearing nuts to 30ft-lbs, then
>back-off the nut 1/3 of a turn."
>
>First of all - all bearings are not of equal size and require different torque
>settings - I think my Jeep is still less than 30 ftlbs too.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
mebbe i'm wrong, but i believed i qualified my remark w/the fact that i don't
know the correct alfa torque, what i was describing was the procedure.  i do
have the torque values for my alfas in the shop manuals.

then you said:
>Second of all for the sake of safety - you shouldn't be working on the
>bearings on any car unless you know  the correct torque setting and have a
>torque wrench (and know how to use it).
i *do* have a torque wrench, and know how to use it.  fact is, w/wheel bearings,
i have had success doing it as described.  as long as i'm turning the wheel
while i'm torquing the nut, i can feel the bearings & races snugging up, and i
stop before i've damaged anything.  i'm not surprised some folks out here
disagree w/my approach - again, i prefaced my method w/the comment "mebbe i'm
bad..."  but no, i'm *not* gonna sit in the corner!  :>)

ciao for now,

naughty doug s.