wheel bearings

Doug S. writes:

"my old wolwo shop manual said to torque wheel bearing nuts to 30ft-lbs, then
back-off the nut 1/3 of a turn."

First of all - all bearings are not of equal size and require different torque
settings - I think my Jeep is still less than 30 ftlbs too.

Second of all for the sake of safety - you shouldn't be working on the
bearings on any car unless you know  the correct torque setting and have a
torque wrench (and know how to use it).

I just repacked the front bearings on my Alfetta the other day - the manual I
have says to tighten to 16-18 ftlbs, then back off and retighten to 6 ftlbs
(much more than 1/3 of a turn).  I have no doubt bearing/race damage would
occur on a 105/115/116 car tightening to the front bearings to 30 ftlbs.

IMHO there is no such thing as a substitute for a working torque wrench.

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas