Sulfer smell ?

Hello,

I noticed your problem on the Alfa digest.

I think it can be the battery. I am from Holland so I do not know the =
exact terms to discribe the problem, but I wil try do do this.

Between the dynamo and the battery is a little box that regulates the =
voltage to the battery. ( sometimes - newer cars - this thing is built =
in into the dynamo. ) Because of this device the voltage can not go =
higher than 12 - 14 volts.=20

When this voltage regulater is broken you will charge by accelerating =
your engine with much higher voltages. The wather of your battery will =
get cooking and because of the accid in the wather, you get a "sulfer" =
smell. When you notice the smell than look at wather in the battery if =
it is cooking.

How can you check this problem ?
When you start your engine, you have to put a voltage meter to your =
battery. It will read between 12 and 14 volts. Ask someone to accelerate =
your engine to 3000 - 4000 revs... does the voltage go over the 14 volts =
you have to change the voltage regulator.

Mostly when you do have this problem you have to change the lamps more =
often ( because of the higher voltage ) and your windscreen wipers go =
faster than normal.

I tink you live in the USA ?? Because of the speed limits in your =
country you notice this problem not so soon, but I live near the German =
border and there are at the highways no speedlimits. So if you driving =
above 180 km / h you smell the problem a lot sooner and you have to fill =
the wather in the battery more often than normal.

An other thing can be the problem within the battery itself...the plates =
can be bent and the thing does cross-wire itself.

In both cases the battery is mostly gone and has to be changed

		I hope this can solve your problem....I'd like to know if you succeed.

				Eduard van de Beek

http://home.wxs.nl/~evdbeek/index.html

End of alfa-digest V7 #553